Let's give this blogging thing another go-around, shall we?
Lately, I've been doing a lot of quilting. It seems like the online quilting community is still quite blog (and flickr) focused (probably because there's no real Ravelry for quilters), so I thought I'd try to update my little blog in the hopes of becoming more involved with some other quilters online.
After being obsessed with Joel Dewberry's Heirloom for months now, I bit the bullet and bought myself enough for a full-sized quilt. My birthday is next week, so I think I deserve it. I got a fat quarter set of the Citrine colorway from Hawthorne Threads (terrific shop) as well as enough of my favorite print - the Ornate Floral in Amber - for the backing. I also picked up some solid cream and some Essex Linen in Putty.
I'd never worked with linen before, but so far I'm really enjoying the Essex. I can definitely see myself using it again in the future. I'm already planning to make a couple matching pillow shams once the quilt is complete.
Here are my first 4 blocks. The pattern is On a Whim by Camille Roskelley. After reading a few blogs and the discussion section of the Swooning on a Hop Along QAL, I decided to cut the white squares at 3 3/4" instead of 3 1/2" and to cut the 4 1/8" printed squares an even 4". This has made it much easier to square up the square-in-a-square blocks despite my inability to sew a consistent 1/4" seam.
I can't wait to finish this quilt. I love love love it.

Block 1 - Lost a corner on the right, but overall I'm pleased.

Block 2

Block 3

Block 4
Lately, I've been doing a lot of quilting. It seems like the online quilting community is still quite blog (and flickr) focused (probably because there's no real Ravelry for quilters), so I thought I'd try to update my little blog in the hopes of becoming more involved with some other quilters online.
After being obsessed with Joel Dewberry's Heirloom for months now, I bit the bullet and bought myself enough for a full-sized quilt. My birthday is next week, so I think I deserve it. I got a fat quarter set of the Citrine colorway from Hawthorne Threads (terrific shop) as well as enough of my favorite print - the Ornate Floral in Amber - for the backing. I also picked up some solid cream and some Essex Linen in Putty.
I'd never worked with linen before, but so far I'm really enjoying the Essex. I can definitely see myself using it again in the future. I'm already planning to make a couple matching pillow shams once the quilt is complete.
Here are my first 4 blocks. The pattern is On a Whim by Camille Roskelley. After reading a few blogs and the discussion section of the Swooning on a Hop Along QAL, I decided to cut the white squares at 3 3/4" instead of 3 1/2" and to cut the 4 1/8" printed squares an even 4". This has made it much easier to square up the square-in-a-square blocks despite my inability to sew a consistent 1/4" seam.
I can't wait to finish this quilt. I love love love it.
Block 1 - Lost a corner on the right, but overall I'm pleased.
Block 2
Block 3
Block 4
No comments:
Post a Comment