05 November 2009

Ups and Downs

I'm feeling less frustrated about grad school than I was, yesterday, but still not at all confident I know what I'm doing.

I emailed NYU with specific questions about their program, and I got a canned answer in response, which is really annoying. I think it's a good program, because it's NYU for Pete's sake, but it would be nice if they could give me any statistics about admissions, or where grads are currently working, etc. Hopefully Tufts will get back to me with better information. That looks like the best program, but frankly, I really don't want to be in Boston.

I emailed my thesis advisor to ask about grad schools, and she was somewhat helpful. She said that, while she doesn't have any experience with Museum Studies programs, a curator friend of hers has often commented that many new hires don't really understand the logistics of how a museum is run. This makes me feel slightly more optimistic about doing Museum Studies instead of an MA or (especially) PhD in history or anthro.

My advisor also told me that her husband, who had been very ill while I was writing my thesis, passed away at the beginning of this last semester. I am just so sad for her. I'm also upset that I didn't see the obit when it was published, as I would have attended the memorial service. She was such a wonderful advisor and so smart and I admire her so much.

No comments: