06 February 2009

Spring Interweave!

The Spring '09 preview of IK is up and I love it.

My absolute favorite is the Zickzack Tunic. I think it looks so stylish and versatile. I'm thinking about using KP Gloss Lace (merino-silk blend) which would be an affordable option at only $16! There will be new colors coming out soon, but right now I'm thinking Cypress or Port. Raisin and Aegean are also really pretty, but I've got yarn for a purple sweater already, and I'm thinking of a strong blue in Malabrigo for the Climbing Vines pullover. We'll see, but I am so excited for this sweater.

My other favorites:

The Silk Cocoon Cardigan: I almost always love Connie's designs and this is no different. I particularly love the use of the stitch pattern at the cuffs. It looks very feminine.

I like the geometry of the Fountain Pen Shawl. I love triangular shawls, and I think this one is really lovely.

I was unimpressed with the Diminishing Rib Cardigan on the cover until I saw the "extra" photos - it looks oh-so-very-chic paired with that skirt and cami. This is a worsted-weight piece, so maybe I'd make it in wool or a wool-blend for fall. I do have 5 (or is it 6?) balls of KP Comfy (cotton acrylic blend) that I bought last summer. The dyelot wouldn't be the same, but I could get a few more balls of that, it would be a good use for the yarn which has been sitting since last April.

The Float Stole looks really interesting. I'm wondering what the stitch pattern would look like in something like Eco Wool, as an afghan. I love the stole, but I don't know if I have the patience to knit a big rectangle in lace weight.

Other thoughts:

I really like the Petal Halter, but I don't think it would look very good on my busty self. Also, this is the second time in a year IK has erroneously called a tank a halter (Last summer's  "Plaid Halter" was the other). A halter top is one where the front straps of the bodice fasten in some way behind the neck, leaving the back and the shoulders bare. The Petal Halter is just a regular tank or shell, with straps that extend to the back of the garment.

Jeff's Pub Sweater is a good basic men's garment, although I don't have any men to knit for. I already made my dad a sweater (he wears it only sometimes) and my boyfriend would not wear a handknit sweater (fine with me).

I'm not sure what's up with the bottom of the Whisper Cardigan, but I do love the idea of a drapey cardigan knit in lace weight. When I see the actual pattern I may be able to add real fronts to this shrug to make it a functional cardigan. It's got a pretty feel, anyway.

The only things I really don't like are the Watered Quartz Tee and the St John's Wort Cardigan. Both look like something straight out of this spring's Knitscene, which was so full of ugliness I didn't even bother blogging about it.

On the whole, I'd say this is a really great issue. I've been happy with the last few issues, but this is the first in a while I've immediately wanted to make many of the items. First up is definitely the Zickzack, unless it somehow looks super awful on all of the gallery girls.

No comments: